If your mind becomes firm like a rockand no longer shakesIn a world where everything is shakingYour mind will be your greatest friendand suffering will not come your way. Therigatha
- Equanimity describes a complete openness to experience, without being lost in reactions of love and hate. It's a powerful quality in its own right, and it fortifies other qualities. It supports wisdom because when the mind doesn't shake, we can stay with the truth of things long enough to have a deep insight.
- Equanimity has a balance that empowers loving-kindness (metta) with patience, so that we care, even in times when the people that we love do self-destructive things.
- "May you be happy and have the causes of happiness."
- "May you be healthy in body, mind, and spirit."
- "May you be safe, free from harm."
- "May you be at peace." Metta Meditation
- Without equanimity we might demand that happiness occur in the ways that we think it should, rather than stay connected and loving with things as they are.
- Equanimity endows compassion with courage, so that we have the courage to face the pain in life and to face the cruelty in the world. When we care deeply, we try to help, but we can't always alleviate pain. Sometimes what we do doesn't actually help. You can not control what another person will do. Shaila Catherine