Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Movement is Good for the Brain

Sometimes we are only interested in the calorie burning effects of exercise, but perhaps we should change that thought from a "punishment" to an enjoyment factor.  I work out because it makes me feel better.  When I was heavier in the 1990's, I struggled with depression.  I took medication to help with the depression. Now, my daily workout, my morning quiet, my yoga, and my community building create my own sense of well-being without the medication. I no longer see my workout time as a form of trying to stay ahead of the calorie intake, I actually see it as play.  Just as a child laughs it off when they fall down, I tell myself, "It's only a practice, it is not a performance." I get to do this, I don't have to do it.  Then, I give my calendar a star!

Can you think of it as "Play?" Every movement is a happier one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Riding the Wave with Breathe, Release, Feel, Witness, Allow

My son, Jeff, surfing the waves in California "Riding the Wave requires a lot of energy and can make us fill depleted.  Refill y...