Mister Rogers said, "Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun of struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is right here and right now."Self-affirmations are a way of loving ourselves. This in turn changes to loving others. If we speak negative words to ourselves, are harsh, hard, sharp, and pressing in our own minds, then before we know it our inside talk becomes our outside communication to others.Your words to yourself are in bold, black letters. Speak first to yourself.Your words to others, family, friends, coworkers, bosses, etc. are in yellow.Say things like, "I forgive myself," and it turns into, "I forgive you."Say things like, "Everywhere I turn I see healing," and it turns into, "I see positive things ahead for you."Say things like, "I gently open and care for my inner self," and it turns into. "I really care about you and want to be open to what you think."Say things like, "I feel steady and calm," and it turns into, "No worries. We can get this accomplished together."Say things like, "I rest in my capacity to trust and endure," and it turns into, "I can trust and hang in there with you that the good work God started in you will be accomplished."Say things like, "I accept the ups and downs of life," and it turns into, "Some days we feel powerful and able, and other days, we struggle. Don't give up!"Say things like, "I face life's challenges with an open heart." and it turns into, "No matter what happens today, we can overcome."Say things like, "I safely release anger to open my heart." and it turns into, "I let go of your offense against me so that I can love you like God does."Say things like, "I fill my open heart with the breath of joy," and it turns into, "I can breathe in and especially out because I know joy comes from letting go of my ego attachments."Say things like, "I am filled with VIGOR, VITALITY, and JOY!" and it turns into, "I have energy to help you with your project."Say things like, "I bend easily in the face of challenges." and it turns into, "I am flexible, calm, and easily bent when life gets tough. I won't let you down."Say things like, "I release all tension and anxieties." and it turns into, "Breathing out, I can go one more mile, one more task, one more day with your issues."Say things like, "I am firmly planted," and it turns into, "No matter how many changes come my way, I am at peace within myself."Say things like, "I lead with my heart," and it turns into "My head is often judgmental, critical, and haughty, but my heart easily forgives, soothes, feels empathy, and calms others."Say things like, "I am stable and grounded," and it turns into, "No matter what roller coaster you are riding on, I feel like I am firmly planted."Say things like, "I grow from strong roots," and it turns into, "You can lean on me because I will not sway with other people's opinions."Say things like, "I am a warrior with inner strength," and it turns into, "I am strong, capable, and confident. I can help."Say things like, "I feel safe and secure in my connection to the earth," and it turns into, "I am allowing myself to stay frozen by being afraid, worried, dreading, or full of anxiety. Because I am not giving into fear, I will do it afraid if I need to do so."Say things like, "I calmly rise to greet each moment," and it turns into, "No matter what you say to me today, I keep my inner tranquility."Say things like, "I reach out to others," and it turns into, "Hi, my name is ___________, and a kind word, touch, or sincere compliment follows."Say things like, "I take care of the present moment and release the past," and it turns into, "You do not need to replay the tapes of the past, and I can help you find peace in the present moment. I am here."Say things like, "I am learning to recognize, accept, and release my thoughts." and it turns into, "What kinds of thought are you thinking? Be a silent observer of your thoughts and release the negative ones. It has helped me to think more positively, speak more positively, and develop better habits."******So, here you are, Friends. If speaking to yourself the bold words repeatedly, you will begin to see changes in your life.
Tuesday, March 25, 2014
Affirmations are from my Yoga Warriors training! Hope to see you soon on the mat.
Friday, March 21, 2014
Our goal at Tranquility is always to serve our people with times that work and classes that challenge (not too much; not too little) to help you enjoy your yoga time on the mat.
Tranquility's team of Sheri, Micah, Alyssa, and myself work diligently to prepare practices that are beneficial. We all have a different teaching style, and our strengths are very complimentary!
Here are some general questions that I am often asked with answers you might enjoy reading...
- Why do we set an intention at the beginning of each session?
- An intention is called a "sankalpa." We take this time at the start of each hour to bring our attention from outside to inside.
- It is like a compass that steers us to where we want our time together to go and can be used for the rest of the day to set a positive affirmation.
- "So Ham" where the "a" has an "AHHH" sound means, "I am that.." it is the sound of the breath as you restrict the glottis in Ujjayi breath. Sample intentions could include the following:
- I am that strong, balanced, and flexible.
- I am that peaceful.
- I am that present.
- Your word or phrase can be the same every time or different depending on your mood, your mindset, your body needs, etc.
- Chanting simply gives you the opportunity to focus your mind on a positive thought.
- As a group, it gives us a central thought; almost like a consistency or chorus of mindset.
- "OM" is considered to be the "sound of the universe." It offends some and is enjoyable for others. We do not chant "OM" to keep from being offensive.
- "Be still and know" or "Truth is my identity" with finger tapping is often practiced at Tranquility.
- Extension of the Spine (cow or cobra pose)
- Flexion of the Spine (cat or down dog pose)
- Rotation of the Spine (simple twists)
- Lateral Flexion (side bending like gate pose or half moon pose)
- Sun Salutes warm us up and continue the tone or focus that we began with our six movements of the spine. This is how we start each practice in some form or other.
- Our creativity as teachers is grounded with the movements linked with the breath. Sheri, Alyssa, Micah, and I all do them in a similar fashion but at different times and varying amounts of repetition.
- Sun Salutes A, B, and C lay the ground work for the elements that we want to introduce in the class and help us integrate those important concepts throughout the practice.
- You will find more sun salutes in the power classes and vinyasa classes than in the other practices. Sometimes in a gentle class, you may not do a full salute; you may do half salutes, moon salutes, or none at all.
- Our intention is to make the class fit your time schedule without overwhelming you at a difficulty that would be inappropriate for your ability or medical issues. Some brand new beginners love the power flows, and others want a gentler practice with more instruction.
- You are welcome to come to any class on the schedule and modify as needed.
- Our studio specializes in using props, such as blocks, straps, blankets, bolsters, sand bags, eye pillows, final relaxation cloths scented with lavender, or unscented cloths for that purpose.
- Some teachers have a style that is quieter with longer holds and others enjoy the movement and heat building. We can all teach the variety of classes, but you will see our own unique techniques evolve through the time together. We have a great team at Tranquility!
- We have streamlined our class offerings this summer to the following:
- 5:30 a.m. every weekday Monday - Friday,
- 7:30 a.m. on Saturdays,
- 9:00 a.m. on Saturdays,
- 10:00 a.m. weekdays Monday - Friday,
- 12:00 p.m. Noon Monday through Saturday,
- 2:30 p.m. on Sunday,
- 4:00 p.m. four days a week on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday,
- 5:30 p.m. weekday evenings, and
- 6:45 p.m. on weekdays.
- Saturday workshops for children and tweens/teens at 10:30 Saturday
- Saturday workshops for adults at 1:30 p.m. Saturday
7. The hardest question to answer is "Will you extend my expiration date?"This is a tough one for me. I like saying "yes" to every question, but this is not one that I can answer with the affirmative.
Brian and I wish we did not have expiration dates; however, every business offers coupons or special deals for less money with a timely fashion to use the option. We set the expiration dates to help you benefit from practicing 2 to 3 times a week or more and always offer the drop-in fee ($10) as an alternative. If you cannot pay, please speak with us privately about scholarships.
Once again, thank you for coming to class! Our March Extravaganza has been such a success. The 31 classes card expires 10 days from today.
- Next month, April 1 - 30, new customers will enjoy two weeks of Unlimited for $20.00.
- Wednesday Friend's Day goes into effect this spring and summer where you can bring a new friend to the studio for only $5.00 cash. Otherwise, it is a $10.00 drop-in or two punches off your card for your guest.
This Sunday, March 23, is our last Yoga Warriors at 1:00 p.m. Next Saturday, March 29, is our Zen Tangle, Zen Yoga, and Zen Journal workshop at 1:30 p.m. Sign up today for $30.00.
Dear Friends, Good Friday Morning! Are you able to tell a difference yet? I am finding that my clothes fit better, my energy level i...
Some days, I feel confident that I was successful. Some days, I feel questionable about whether my theme or my cues or my assists or my med...
If you had all that you needed, money was no object, and time was abundant, what would you do in 2018? There is something about writing i...
Many people struggle with pain in their lumbar spine. I gave classes back in December for arthritic pain. Here is an excerpt from a privat...