Mudras and Mantras
We know a lot about Asanas or Yoga Postures...
We know some about Pranayama or Breath Control Practice...
Sama Vritti (same breath in; same breath out)
Ujjayi Breath (ocean sounding)
3 Part Breath - Dirgha (belly rises, ribs expand, chest lifts)
Kapalabhati - Skull Shining Breath
We know little about Mudras and Mantras, but these symbols and words have power.
This active part of our yoga practice can change our interoception (the ability to connect the outside to the inside).
While yoga poses improve our proprioception (where our body is in space), the mantras or positive affirmations begin to change our thought patterns.
While yoga breathing improves our sympathetic nervous system by calming us down, the mudras or hand seals begin to affect our neuroplasticity of the brain functioning.
My mentor, Mandy Eubanks, Founder and Lead Teacher of Everyone Yoga School in Tulsa, taught about the mudras and mantras. I made a sequence out of her wonderful ideas and combined some of the affirmations and hand seals. She is so amazing, and I hope you enjoyed our classes this last week as well as learned more about yoga.
- Mountain Pose (Hands in Anjali Mudra or Prayer Seal): "I am resting in my ease."
- Standing Balancing Pose with three tap toe and drag (Hands in Lotus Seal or Padma Mudra): "I open myself up to life today."
- Standing Twist with a Curtsy Lunge (Hands clasped raised and behind the head): "I will embrace my past and look with hope to the future."
- Squat pose with a wide stance and circling elephant trunk arms (Arms circling and hands clasped): "I am safe and secure. My obstacles are moved."
- Standing Balance on right foot with Shiva Twist as you open your palms and imagine that the back arm is the past and the front arm is the future.
- Step back with the left foot into Crescent Lunge. Clasp your hands behind your back and forward bend into Humble Warrior: "I bend and bow to the light inside me."
- Step forward on the exhale to Ukatasana or Fierce Prayer Posture.
- Lift heels into Drinking Bird. Say with arms in shoulders extension and open palms: "I offer my unique gifts to the world."
- Back to Chair Pose then raising arms in surrender as you move into Upward Salute: "I surrender."
- Forward Fold to Uttanasana with Bhu mudra as you connect your peace fingers to the mat. Say: "I am secure and stable."
- Step back into the Plank, follow with Chaturanga and High Cobra or Upward Facing Dog.
- Downward Facing Dog.
- Step forward with the left foot and begin again.
- Start again on the left foot balancing.