Monday, August 5, 2019

Self-Care Says...


Self-care is about loving yourself enough to prove it to yourself by taking time and energy to better care for yourself.  It's one thing to say, "I love you."  It's quite another thing to show it.

So, how do you know someone loves you?
Perhaps, they talk to you.
Or maybe, they spend time or money or energy on you.
Then again, they enjoy being with you.

Yoga has taught me the gift of self-observation without judgement.  

To be frank, I have been my own worst critic.  The words I have spoken in my own thoughts to myself have been far from loving.  The words we speak are sourced from our thinking.  Many of these words come with a circular fashion.  We think it, and then we think it again.

In yoga, we call it a "samskara," or thought wheel; you might even consider it a "rut" or well-traveled road in your thinking.  The best way to get out of the rut?  One positive thought of the opposite nature at a time.

I am setting my "sankalpa" or intention today to be kinder to myself, to err on the side of love and not offense, to embrace my faults with grace, and to season my speech with love.

For you see, if we want to un-offendable, we must start first with our own self before it will manifest to others.  We are like lemons; when you squeeze us or put us in uncomfortable situations, whatever is on the inside will come out.

Start by not offending yourself.  Then, don't take offenses from others.  Anger comes from judgement, not love.  Stop the mad.  Stop the feelings of negativity.  Embrace who you are with infinite possibilities for good.

Use the breath, the "letting go" breath.  Inhale through the nose; exhale through the mouth, and make a sound.  

Pause.

Say something nice to yourself.  

Write a letter or journal page to you.

Dear Jeanne,
"Today is the first day of a new week.  My intention is to be kinder to you.  My goal is self-care, and I am going to prove it.  One thought at a time.  One releasing breath at a time.  One word at a time."  Loving myself one breath at a time, Jeanne

We all want the four recipe ingredient for self care.

  1. Soothe yourself
  2. Allow yourself to be Seen
  3. Feel Secure in yourself
  4. Be Safe with who you are created to be 

That is the same thing others need to feel with us, too.  Soothed, Seen, Secure, and Safe.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Riding the Wave with Breathe, Release, Feel, Witness, Allow

My son, Jeff, surfing the waves in California "Riding the Wave requires a lot of energy and can make us fill depleted.  Refill y...