In Yoga with meditation, with breath control practice, with movement, with centering, with tension release, we find what is sometimes called, "Top Down, Bottom Up," benefits.
The brain finds its way to the PFC or pre-frontal cortex with our centered mindfulness and breath; thus, it moves out of the emotional brain or "Fight, Flight, Freeze, Faint" of the Sympathetic Nervous System. Our heart rates slow down, our blood pressure lowers, our thinking brain engages.
Several ways to get this accomplished is to find a comfortable seat and add in one of the following breath practices:
Alternate Nostril Breath - closing off the right nostril, breathe in through the left; close off the left nostril, breathe out through the right. Breathe in through the right; close off and breathe out through the left. Repeat for 1 - 2 minutes or more.
- Brain Balancing
- Excellent for Test Taking, Performance anxiety
- Tension Release
- Signaling to the Brain Stem and Limbic (emotional) Brain it is okay to let go of stress
- By opening the mouth, it releases jaw and facial tension
- So Hum which means "I am that..."
- Expansive for the lungs
- Heat building in the body
- Excellent for withdrawing attention from the outside and placing inside
- Builds Diaphragm as you use this VIP muscle to cause the belly to rise with each inhale
- Causes the ribs to expand outward increasing our capacity for a full oxygen intake
- Lifts the heart center and opens up the area above the heart
- Engages the Prefrontal Cortex of the brain where our discernment and intuition lie